Wednesday 5 September 2012

Newly hatched



So these are the newest littles around here.  Violet hatched out 10 babes yesterday!  Wow.  So cute and So. Little.  We let her do her thing and wander around the yard yesterday and she successfully overnighted all 10.  But when a chilly wind struck up this afternoon, we decided we needed to step in.  As the 5 babies that were in the old dog run are now free ranging and perching at night where-ever they please, we set up the heat lamp again and some fresh straw, food and water (with ACV and molasses for an extra boost) and caught up Violet and all the babies and settled them in.  Surprisingly, Violet seemed Very Happy with the new digs.  Like she knew she could relax a little and her babies would be safe.

Now a side story to this is that we also had 2 chicken eggs underneath Violet which were due to hatch Thursday (tomorrow).  So when Violet left her nest with her hatchlings YESTERDAY with 2 days left to go on the chicken eggs, we started to fret, especially since 1 egg already had a crack in it.  What's a good farm mom to do?  Well, pop it into my bra, that's what.  Oh dear.  Through the crack in the shell, I could tell it was still alive, so I figured that as long as it's still alive, I'll do my best for it.  So I've kept it in my shirt since yesterday morning.  This morning, dear daughter bumped me with a chair and TOTALLY cracked the shell. I figured it was done for.  But no, still kicking.  So I wetted a wool coffee sleeve that I had knitted a while back, warmed up a heat pad and have continued to tote this little package around.  And now?  Now it's CHEEPING.

No comments:

Post a Comment