Tuesday 18 September 2012

Here We Go 'Round the Elderberry Tree


Before last week, I'd never heard of Elderberries before.  At least, my conscious mind hadn't.  (Which isn't saying much.)  My very informed New Zealand-transplant friend Sue filled me in when she sent out an email letting us know that she had elderberries growing in her side yard.  Huh?  What?  What does one do with Elderberries I asks.

Well.

One makes Elderberry syrup of course.

Apparently elderberries are loaded with all kinds of anti-oxidants and, mixed with honey and a few spices (fresh ginger, cinnamon and cloves for example), makes for a decadent elixir that is a worthy soldier on the fight against colds and flu.  Plus you can drizzle on pancakes, yogurt, ice cream, and other delectables.  How could I say no?

So I collected a bag of these berries, by clipping off each cluster of berries and bringing them home to de-stem.  Ugh. THAT was a chore and a half.  But necessary, as the little stems are toxic and will make your syrup bitter.

Saying that, the syrup is SO yummy.  I'm almost looking forward to getting sick to see how well it works.  No, wait.  Did I just say that?  Maybe I'll stick to pancakes and ice cream.


2 comments:

  1. I discovered elderberry and elderberry flower (or elderflower) when I was in the UK. Those Brits love to put it in jellies and jams, syrup, and even cocktails (I had an elderflower cucumber gin and tonic that was to DIE for)! DELICIOUS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOh! Do you have the recipe for the elderflower cuke gin & tonic? I have ALL those ingredients on hand!

    ReplyDelete