Tuesday 14 August 2012

Cock-a-Doodle-DON'T

This is Jagger, letting it rip.  I love hearing him crow.  And now, with the younger cockerals up the back of the house, he calls to them and they answer.  It's funny to hear them go back and forth.  At least I think it is, and so does the rest of my family.

It seems our neighbor to the south does not.  She thinks he's SCREECHING all day long and has threatened to call by-law on us.  Geesh.  We live in a rural part of town where we are allowed "unlimited" animals on our property.  But she might be able to get us on a noise infraction, with time and help from other neighbors. I honestly don't know if she really has a leg to stand on, but for my own peace of mind, I've moved my bird. I noticed that since she uttered her threats, I'm noticing - and cringing - every time he sings.  I've also had to alter my morning routine to let all the animals out - saying good morning at the usual time to everyone between 7 and 7:30 AM,  except the hens and Jagger whom I've been keeping "cooped up" until 9 AM just to keep this woman happy.  I was finding that one of the favorite parts of my morning was not so much fun anymore.

So.  I've moved all the pullets to the run beside the main flock, which I was going to do anyway.  (And fixed the little coop, yay for me!)  And moved Jagger -TEMPORARILY - to the back run.  He'll be in with the other boys now, kind of a bachelor pen.  Might actually be better this way.  The hens will catch a break, and maybe grow some of their feathers back (if you have a rooster with your hens, you'll know what I'm talking about), and the boys will get used to each other without the distraction of the girls.  Then, come fall, my 2 main boys, Jagger and Jackson, will come back down to the main coop, and the other boys will go into the freezer.

Note to readers: if you don't like the sound of farm animals, don't buy property in an agricultural area.

'Nuff said.


No comments:

Post a Comment