Sunday 1 July 2012

From Shirt to Skirt

When we were in Mexico last winter, a store that caters to funky tourists had these awesome recycled T-shirt skirts, with the seams on the outside.  They were selling for about $25 USD each.  About $20 out of my budget! So, when I got some old shirts...




I made my own!!


Almost as easy as pie, I sewed the side seams together inside out (like, so you can see the seams) with a contrasting red thread and a zig zag stitch. And because t-shirt material is naturally so stretchy, it didn't even need an elastic waist.  I just hemmed the top and roll it down, or under.  So it could easily be a shorter skirt if need be.  Now, this was a first go and it was an old stained t-shirt, so I won't be wearing it "out".  It's a perfect, throw it on, run out to the garden or chicken yard, stretchy, comfy, hang around the house type of hot-weather skirt.  Which, btw, we are going to start getting as of Wednesday.  Phew!  I was starting to think summer would Never get here!    Hmmm.  I might need to persuade hubby to toss out a few more T's. "Sweetie, I'm SURE that one's stained..."


No comments:

Post a Comment