Saturday 23 June 2012

In a Bee Yard!

I did the coolest thing today!

I donned a bee suit and got to visit with some amazing honeybees!!  My friend asked me to accompany her to part of her honeybee course, as she was the only student and the instructor, Vic of Bees, Inc. thinks it's better if there is more than 1 learner.  Yay for me!  So I got a crash course in what the different cells look like -- honey cells, brooder cells, drone cells and we even saw a queen in the making!  Just. Totally. Awesome!
We (gently) took apart of couple of hives, checked for queens, dusted for mites, and even practiced marking a drone.  One doesn't mark drones normally, but Vic didn't want us to mess up marking a queen on our first go.  I really didn't know how I'd react, being so up close & personal with thousands of stinging insects, but it was so mellow!  The bees don't freak out if you don't freak out.  Hmmm.  This philosophy can be applied to other aspects of my life...
I'm not in a position to get bees - Yet.  But they will come.  Yes.  They will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment