Thursday 3 January 2013

Weekend Reading :: Winter


I love farming blogs.  As you could probably tell from the list at the right.  Ahem.

So I find this book, "The Dirty Life", quite by accident, and it's like reading an entire year of farming blogs.  Do you think I can put it down?  Nope.

This is all about Kristin Kimball's leap of faith (so to speak) from her pub-hopping, rent-fixed, take-out food city life to farming - real, permanent, dirt-andgoodnessknowswhatelse-under-your nails-forever type of farming with her honey Mark (who was a farmer, like, forever).

And since the first half of the farm deals with winter, and we're right in the middle of it in real life over here, this is the kind of book I can't wait to curl up with in my big red chair by the fire.  Ah.

Yes, it's similar to "Rurally Screwed" by Jessie Knadler, but I guess I like these sorts of books.  Kinda rings true, you know?  Although I can't say that I was ever "corporate", I did live close to downtown in my 20's, worked in offices, wore something dressier than jeans to work, and was even, briefly,  the educational director for a local business-women's group.  That was all pre - kids,-knitting, -sewing, -farm animals, etc.  That "other" life never really fit with me.

This one, happily, does.

Happy winter reading, folks!
And Happy 2013!



No comments:

Post a Comment