Sunday 20 January 2013

The Learning Curve

I am learning a new thing.  It's something I've wanted to learn for a l-o-n-g time.  And in learning this thing, I am discovering how I learn, and I'm finding that, in itself, interesting.

First, I notice.  Then, I think and watch. Then I circle it.  Metaphorically, for sure, sometimes actually walking around and around the thing.  Sometimes for years, as in this particular thing.

Oh? What am I learning?  SPINNING.  As in, how to spin wool.  I am SO excited about this.  Well.  I am this week.  Last week was my first class and no matter how awesome I can spin in my head, my hands just couldn't get the hang of it.  I know I'm just learning and to give myself time and all that, but you know when you REALLY want to learn something and you're SURE you will be great at it and then it doesn't come together the way you thought?  I just didn't even want to TALK about it last week.  Then I had my second class and tonight, while children read and built marble runs around me, I spun.  And it was GOOD.

It amazes me how just a little wee bit of sheep fluff can be transformed into something much more.  And it's funny how last week, just looking at the spinning wheel made me a wee bit sad, and this week, I wish I had more to spin!  I do, actually, have 3 big bags of BFL wool to spin, but daughter says that the BFL is so lovely, I need to perfect my technique just a bit more before I go for the good stuff.  And I think I'll dye some of it before I spin it too.

I did take a few pictures, but my camera is not that good for indoor evening shots, so perhaps I'll try again during the day.

3 cheers for learning something new!


No comments:

Post a Comment