Friday 11 May 2012

Weekend Reading

Well, you'd think it was a slacker week around here.  I got absolutely Nothing done all week, as I was either hosting (new) friends and their kids at our little farm, or chauffering kids around town to their various activities.  Not my typical week, as I generally like more "home days" than we had.  Oh well.  Sometimes it just can't be helped, eh?

So, you will notice a bit of a theme with my picks of weekend reads of late.  It's springtime, in case you hadn't noticed, which means planting stuff.  So mostly, I'm reading books on ... planting stuff.  I must admit, I am bound and determined to finish  Joel Salatin's book  before it's due back at the library, which means other books I want to read are cast aside, for the moment, or browsed quickly.  This book is one of those, and although I had to return it before I had really gotten to the meat of it, it really intrigued me.
Before you think -- wow, can I really harvest tomatoes in January??  No.  Not where I live, certainly, and not where the author lives.  You can, however, for very little time and investment, harvest root veggies and salad stuffs year round.  Really?  Yes, really, and I am game to try.  I LOVE the idea of simple bales of straw surrounding your crop with recycled windows propped up against them.  Check with me next spring to see how I did ;)

Have a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment