Friday 26 April 2013

Weekend Reading :: Older Kids or Adults!

"Peter and the Starcatchers" by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, recommended by my friend Signe at Patch of Blue, was a very welcomed read.  It is essentially the prequel to the original Peter Pan book by J. M. Barrie.  We find out how Peter and the lost boys came to be on the island and why a certain pirate has a hook for a hand, among other things that I won't spoil for you.  It is a very fast-paced, exciting read with not a lull to be found anywhere.  I started reading it as a bedtime read for both kids, but my insatiable reader of a 10 year old couldn't wait to find out what happened, so read ahead and finished the book in record time.  My 6 year old son was a little un-nerved by a couple of the scarier parts (we are talking about vengeful pirates and a giant crocodile here), so I read those parts to myself and then gave him the condensed version before we continued on the slightly tamer parts.  Most of the chapters are very short, which makes a mom happy for bedtime reading, but as the book progresses, it jumps about between 3 converging story lines which can be disconcerting to younger children who need some kind of closure before bedtime.  Nonetheless, a highly enjoyable read, for slightly older children (it's recommended for 10+ years), or adults that like an exciting quick-read.

Happy Reading!  Happy Weekending!

PS - To those who have been wondering where my regular weekend reading has been, I've taken a little hiatus from my usual book learning, (unless you count books on incubating and raising various types of poultry) mostly because my trusty little light I use for my bedtime reading has expired.  I must get a new one.


No comments:

Post a Comment